You can't hit what you can't see. What I mean is, without a list of goals/resolutions- things you want out of life, you have no direction. You're just wandering. You don't have a bullseye to aim for. So lets make some goals and here's a quick list of making sure they are not just empty promises.
At your (or your parent's) request, I am working on making the Mini-Workshops on-line friendly. So you can take them whenever and where-ever you may be. But for now, here's just a few tips to get you started on a successful New Year!
1. Decide What You Want- This should be the easy one! We all have wishes and wants, but it's taking the actual steps that turns wishes into goals. So think carefully. What wishes have been rolling around in your head that you might actually want to put some effort into. Winning the lottery doesn't belong in this category.
2. Write It Down- When you write down a goal it makes it tangible. Your brain will know you're serious and get to work on it. Be clear. Write down as many specifics as you can. Don't just write: I want to buy a car. Try something more like this: I want to buy a used Ford Escape no older than 2010, preferably in the color blue and have a $800 down payment. I don't want my payments to be more than $200 per month. See the difference?
3. Set Deadlines- A goal with no deadlines has no urgency. It has no beginning and no end. It will make it too easy to just keep putting it off. Give yourself an accountability deadline.
4. Break Down Your Goals- Give yourself a step by step process that it's going to take to get you to your goal. What things are you going to need? What do you have to accomplish before your goal is tangible? (Like in the car example- Do you have to get a job? Do you need to open a savings account? Do you need to learn how to drive a stick shift? Do you need to get a co-signer? Do you need to learn how to take care of an Escape? Are there fees or hidden costs?
5.Organize Your List- Put things into a time-line of priorities and sequence. What needs to be done first? Second? What needs to be done before something else can get done?
6. Get Started IMMEDIATELY! Do something RIGHT NOW to get you one step closer to your goal. Don't wait. Don't think about it. Don't daydream about how cool you're going to look behind the wheel of your Cobalt Blue Ford Escape, get out there and DO SOMETHING!!
7. Work On Your List Daily- Do something every single day, even if it's putting a couple dollars to the side to get you closer to your goal. Don't miss a day!
8. Check Your Goal List Everyday- It feels SO good to be able to cross something off your list! Completed a step? Cross it off! You'll feel proud as your page fills up with black lines and even more... you'll reach that goal!!
So there you have it! Try it out on a small goal and get a feel for the rhythm of things. Then go after the bigger goals! You can do it! And I'll be here with you every step of the way!! Keep an eye out for the online course coming your way! It will go into SO much more detail but this blog will help get you started!
Let me know your progress! Love you all! Happy New Year!!